Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ten Years of Magic


"Whether you come back by film or by page, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."

There are few things closer to my childhood than the boy who lived. I know it's nerdy, I know it's a bit obsessive. But Harry Potter has been a part of my life for the past ten years. He has been for many of us. Midnight showings. Reading the books within 24 hours of release. Owning every movie and watching them dozens of times. J.K. Rowling has created a world that I've visited countless times. A world of darkness, but more importantly of love. & It's a world I know I'll re-visit throughout the course of my life.

Last night I left the 3D IMAX showing of Deathly Hallows Part Two, after crying half a dozen times throughout the film, feeling so emotional. I waited an hour and a half before the movie, antsy for it to start. I wore large 3D glasses that covered my face and a huge smile as soon as the big shiny letters came onto the screen. Even more excited than the twelve-year-old childish me who fell in love with HP ten years ago. & Now that it's over I just don't know what to do with myself. Honestly. Aside from go to Target, purchase the first HP book (all mine are in TN with my mother) and never, ever stop reading.

Few thoughts on the movie:
1. Professor Minerva McGonagall is bad-a. Maggie Smith, I still remember you from The Secret Garden.
2. Neville- when did he get so cute?
3. This film was my favourite of the series, closest to the books I think.
4. Snape montage left me in tears. Him holding dead Lily- OH. MY. HEART. Give Alan Rickman a flippin' Oscar.
5. Helena Bonham Carter played the perfect Hermione.
6. The end- why did everyone look older aside from Emma Watson?

Video that makes me laugh--


Video that makes me cry--

5 comments :

  1. Oh goodness, I felt the same way. I think everyone did. I left the midnight premiere an emotional mess. Goodbye, childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I couldn't have said it better myself... and I definitely agree with you about Maggie Smith, did you know she was battling breast cancer while shooting the last two films? I also agree with you about Snape, I can think of a couple parts I knew I would definitely ball my eyes out that, and though I thought I'd tear up during that flashback I was sobbing :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so amazing, I want to go see it again. Maggie Smith was HBIC and Neville really grew up.. it was amazing. I didn't think it'd be as emotional as it was, but man, even I was teary-eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly how I feel too. Literally the only thing that bothered me is they didn't bother to cgi some wrinkles for Hermione at the end. And Maggie Smith was so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Please visit again. ★