Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When I grow up I want to be...


Lately I have been thinking about what career path my future will hold. I will already be a senior next year (crazy!) and with the current economic conditions, I have no idea what job I will one day choose. I'm not really concerned about money, as long as I can pay my bills. I know for certain that my career goals will change as I grow older. I plan on having a more successful career in the far future- hopefully. Well here are some of the careers that, at one point in my life, I have considered.


  • Archeologist. As a young child I held a certain fascination with Egypt and ancient ruins. I once visited a museum in Phoenix that featured various Egyptian exhibits and to this day it is one of my favorite memories. I think it would be fascinating to discover buried cities, lost tombs or Biblical artifacts. The idea sounds thrilling and I've recently debated volunteering with a local organization that searches for Native American ruins and the like.


  • Children's book author. The next Kay Thompson, author of Eloise- only the best book ever written. Children's book are my favorite. Many of the books I read as a child remain my favorite- The BFG, The Boxcar Children, 100 Dresses, Amelia Badelia and the like.


  • Lawyer. My mom used to always tell me I would make a great lawyer. So much that I thought, eh, perhaps. But today this a definite no. Although I find my mass communication law class fascinating.


  • Teacher. I find this laughable, but a conversation occurred between me and my mum a week or so ago about how I should teach once I get out of school. You know, that's how Bill started his career. Maybe I'll retire to being a teacher.


  • Graphic Designer. I once debated switching my major to graphic design. This ended when I realized it was impossible to get into the design school. It's probably a good thing because I don't think it was meant for me. Sure I love Photoshop. And last semester my teacher said I should pursue all things creative and had an eye for design. This was her reaction to my personal web page creation. I think my fascination with this subject will come into play further down the line if I pursue public relations, if nothing else.


  • Wedding Planner. My dinner parties sparked this idea. I love to decorate. I love to plan. I have excellent taste- really I do. I just don't have the money to display my taste, unfortunately. But the idea of living in Franklin one day and owning a victorian house where I would also run my wedding planning business sounds quite lovely.


  • Editor. The more I think about it, this is what I really think I would be good at. Plus, what would be better than being the head honcho at a publication where I can tell other journalists to "rewrite- too biased!" If not a magazine editor or online editor or what-not, then perhaps a book editor. I have two besties who are writing a book at the moment, and both have come to me asking if I would edit it for them. Hmm...


  • Journalist. The downside? Dirt pay. BUT... I love getting down to the nitty and gritty about serious issues. I love writing about politics and serious situations that matter. And the power of the pen, my God! the power of the pen. It's remarkable. This past presidential election opened my eyes to the power of the media and how I absolutely am disgusted with the whole system- which is exactly why I want to be a journalist. You need more people like Bill who actually have a brain and aren't a bunch of self-serving idiots. You need people to look out for the folks- whether it be broadcast or print.


  • Public Relations consultant. Good pay. So many different areas. A mix of journalism, advertising and what not. Still learning about this, but eh, who knows.


  • Model. Yeah righhttt. All I've heard throughout my life is how I should be a model because of my height. I tell them, thanks but no thanks. I'd have to drop tons of weight. And me in heels? That's laughable.
  • No comments :

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for taking the time to comment.
    Please visit again. ★